
My Loves,
I am unable to get your facebook working, and am thus unable to post things, though I am continuing to take pictures on your phone and mine. We can sort it out later. I am sending this to let you know how things are going and to assure you that nobody has fallen off a big rock, yet (just kidding). I will continue to send emails as I have internet access. We are now sitting in an ice cream shop in Cripple Creek that has internet access and I brought my computer just in case. The next time will probably be Monday morning.
We arrived Thursday, about 1600. The boys immediately got out of the van and ran to the fort and proceeded to play stick guns and dirt clods. Sam came about 3 hours later, as Walt got delayed by weather. The boys took showers and when they got out spent some time with Sam before going to bed. Sam slept in the bed with William for quite a while. William is sleeping on the blow-up mattress and Evan, “Van in the mountains,” is sleeping in the bed with me. He even whines in his sleep a little. I was able to do laundry the night before we arrived here in Cotopaxi, at the Ramada we stopped at in Hays, Kansas. Not only did it have a laundry, but it also had an indoor water slide that the kids were on until 2300. They loved it!
Friday, we had a great day. They boys got up, watched T.V. and went out to play. We took a few rides on the Red Rover, went to the property and had fun exploring, as well as throwing knives and shooting .22s a little. We went into town (Westcliffe) for a while, and got ice cream. The boys got rubber band guns and have been shooting each other ever since. I was able to go in and talk to Jeff Curry as well while we were in town. I explained what we wanted to do and he was very amenable to building the 16’ x 24’ model, on a walk out, with the idea of adding on the great room later. The one room cabin is going to run about $50,000, total $80,000. He said, dependant on what we could pay, that amount was negotiable. Though, after subsequently talking to another builder in Westcliffe, as well as Pat Smith (contractor here on the mountain) I am rethinking the Curry Cabins and thinking that a frame structure with a log façade might be better suited to our needs. We can talk later.
When we got back, the boys, upon there own pushing, wanted to whittle (carve wood). We all three carved little knives/ letter openers. It was cute, them both sitting on the front steps carving wood. They are loving it up here. Evan and I went over to the property to check on the fort (at Van’s urging). On the way over to our property we saw a 5-foot timber rattlesnake in the road. Evan said that was the best part of the trip, aside from “seeing the bus crash at the track.”
Saturday morning we went down and got more gas for the Rover and spent the early morning chopping wood, throwin’ knives, as well as just being boys in the dirt. The boys and I went on the walk with Grandma, Grandpa, Sam, and Ophie. Evan complained the whole way, but raced me down the hill at the end and has gone every day since.
We then went into town for the Brewer’s Rendevous. It was a great time. We went to lunch at a restaurant across from the park, right on the river. My mom’s neighbor and some friends joined us. The kids always enjoy being near the water. The rendezvous was a good time as well. The kids and I wandered about getting stickers and glasses, and shirts, and spending a lot of time wading in the water and throwing rocks into the river. The boys had a blast and were saying they wanted to do it again as we left the park for dinner at the diner that had those great milkshakes just up from the park. We stopped at Walmart on the way out of town and were back up on the mountain. We neglected to pack the boys belts so I picked a couple cheap ones up at the store. They wanted to wear their knives on their belts, which they have been.
Sunday was a leisurely morning, dirt, knives, sticks, Red Rover, rocks, and dogs… boy heaven. My mom had a BBQ in the evening for all her mountain friends. Pat Smith came up for dinner and then he Evan and I went over to the property and he showed me how to “witch” to find water for where to drill. I found the same vein of water he did. I was a skeptic, but he explained that he was a Christian and he allows God to guide him in all his activities, and I will be darned, it worked. He did not tell me where his mark was, but I walked right up to it.
Monday was a day to take it easy. I drove to the property with the boys on the Red Rover and measured off some points as we have now determined the location of the well. I called Beau at American Drilling this morning to arrange for the drilling. He is going to meet me on the property Tuesday or Wednesday to sign the permit application and get under way. It looks like it will be drilled in the next couple weeks. We spent the rest of the day throwing dirt clods, throwing knives, exploring, climbing, and, as Will put it, “enjoying Colorado.” This afternoon, Will made Evan some cardboard “armor” sandals and a cardboard “Armor” breastplate. They have been doing well together.


Today we spent most of the morning shooting. Evan loved shooting the single shot .22 and put over a hundred rounds through it himself. He felt so independent. Will finally got into his own, loving shooting the .50 caliber black powder. He loved it and wasn’t a bad shot with it. We packed a lunch and make several hours of it. Between Walt and I we had enough ammunition and firepower to take and hold a small village. Last night, I took some particle board and made shields for the boys. Upon getting back from shooting this morning all the boys wanted to do was paint and coat their shields, which they did. However, they then needed swords. They had previously “whittled” knives (Van insists his is a dagger), however, they “NEEDED” swords, so I made and painted those as well. Now, they are fighting and having “Narnia” battles. Will said this evening that he just “loves Colorado.”
Today, Wednesday, we are in Cripple Creek and just went into a gold mine 1000 feet below the surface. We also took a steam powered train around the edge of town. Super fun. The boys especially loved being underground. They even get a “mineral sample” from the mine.
Tomorrow is going to be a down day, helping Grandma and Grandpa pack for their show.
Friday we are going rafting, as my Mom and Walt are leaving for their show on Thursday at noon. We are going to do the Big Horn Sheep canyon run as the river is low enough the rapids aren’t so severe as to prohibit Evan from going.

Saturday will be a play and packing day.
We are at 6,400 miles and counting. William said last night as they were going to bed that this has been the best vacation ever. I am sure Collier is saying the same thing. I am looking at leaving Sunday 18 July around noon. That way when we roll into town I can still get a few hours of sleep. I will be consistently online from Monday morning on.
I got your message regarding Thomas and his cancer. Wow! That is a shock. What is the prognosis? What are the doctor’s thoughts as to his condition? Prostate cancer has one of the highest survival rates of all of the cancers, but I understand that it is still a blow. Did they catch it early? He is in our prayers, and will continue to be so.
We all miss you both desperately, and hope you are having a good time. Sam is having a great time as well, chasing deer, and I think a bear, and just wandering about the place lying down and napping wherever he wants. Collier asked for a picture, so I am attaching one.
Love and more love,
Ed (aka Dad)

Glad you are having a great time with the boys, Ed. You are such an awesome dad. What lucky boys!!
ReplyDelete